The Spain defender was taken to hospital with injuries to his hand, wrist and arm after Dortmund’s bus was hit with ‘three explosions’ after leaving the hotel ahead of their quarter-final first leg, and while the cause of the attack remains unclear, Auba is convinced that it was a bomb.
“I’m ok,” he told SFR Sport. “We’ve gone back home.
“It was a bomb, it was placed (on the ground), I think.”
Speaking on Facebook live after the event, BVB CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke has acknowledged that the team is in a “state of shock” although expressed his belief that the players and the fans would pull together and grow closer in the face of adversity.
German police remain uncertain about the origin of the attack, although a prosecutor revealed late on Tuesday evening that a letter had been found at the site of the attack.
As of yet, the validity or the contents of the latter remain unclear, although police do believe that the bus was deliberately targeted.
Already Islamic terrorists have been cited as potential culprits for the attack, although speaking with German source Bild, terrorism expert Davis Lewis has questioned this theory, believing that the use of ‘weak’ explosives doesn’t ring true.
“That doesn’t really fit in with the strategy of Islamist attacks, which until now have gone for large numbers of victims such as in the (truck) attacks in Nice and Berlin,” Lewis told Bild.
“On the other hand, terror organisations like ISIS have called upon their followers to go out with home-made bombs.
“It wouldn’t be the first time that something didn’t work out the way it was planned. It’s just too early to tell what’s behind this attack.”
For the world’s best movies, series, kids shows, live sport and more, subscribe to Kwesé TV now in Ghana, Zambia or Rwanda. To live stream our free channel offering, download Kwesé App or register on the website.